AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

Webcam compatibility for snapshots

Forum to discuss AForge.NET Framework, its features, API, how-tos, etc.

Webcam compatibility for snapshots

Postby nokturnal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:25 pm

First off this library is the best, thanks for all the hard work!

Second, I know nobody wants to "endorse" or "promote" a specific webcam or manufacturer, but what I need is a list of known webcams that support the snapshot capability. Ideally I do not want to have to fumble through buying, testing, and returning multiple webcams until I find one that is adequate.

I think it goes without saying that I would like to take decent quality images, and as such, I am eyeballing the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920 as it states it can take 15mp stills and has autofocus. Does anyone know if AForge (DirectShow I suppose) supports this webcam's snapshot capabilities?

Cheers,
Andrew
nokturnal

List of snapshot capable webcams

Postby PauloPolaco » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:07 am

I highly doubt you're going to get anything close to a complete list of what works in terms of which webcam's snapshot features work and which don't. Most webcams don't have snapshot capabilities, which means that you have to simulate the snapshot based on the current frame. I just grab a snapshot using the new frame event if the snapshot capabilities return as null. (As opposed to trying to use the snapshot trigger event which won't work.)

Maybe we can start our own list? Here's my equipment and what works...

MANUFACTURER MODEL | MAX RESOLUTION | HARDWARE SNAPSHOT BUTTON (YES/NO) | COMMENT

1. Microsoft LifeCam Studio | 1080p video only | YES | Button does not work with AForge.NET due to some funky proprietary stuff by MSFT.
2. Most internal webcams in laptops | N/A | NO | Did you expect it to have one?
3. Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 | 640x480 both video and snapshot | YES | Old webcam, works well.
4. Logitech C310 | 720p video only | NO | Funny since this was the most expensive and ugliest 720p webcam.
5. GearHead HD 720P Webcam | 720p both video and snapshot | YES | Works well. Box says 5 megapixel snapshots, didn't exactly say the model on box.
6. HP Webcam HD-2200 | 720p both video and snapshot | YES | Works well.
PauloPolaco

Return to AForge.NET Framework