AForge.NET

:: AForge.NET Framework :: Articles :: Forums ::

SnapshotCapabilities for Microsoft Lifecam Studio

Forum to discuss AForge.NET Framework, its features, API, how-tos, etc.

SnapshotCapabilities for Microsoft Lifecam Studio

Postby gjvanhalem » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I am using a Microsoft Lifecam Studio webcam with AForge.NET. But the SnapshotCapabilities property is empty. The webcam is able to make still images, the software that comes with it does that very well. Even at resolutions above the maximum that VideoCapabilities reports.
Does anyone know what causes this behaviour and how I can fix it?

Thanks!
gjvanhalem

Re: SnapshotCapabilities for Microsoft Lifecam Studio

Postby andrew.kirillov » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello,

As far as I remember the Microsoft Lifecam was always a pain to work with - there were always different issues related to it. The framework was recently fixed to allow setting of video resolution for Microsoft Lifecam - it worked fine for all cameras, but MS camera was a bit special. So something can be special in it in regards to snapshots too.

I would recommend two things:
1) debug with framework sources - it may give a clue about what is going wrong;
2) search on the internet to find how to do a snapshot from MS Lifecam using DirectShow API.
With best regards,
Andrew

Interested in supporting AForge.NET Framework?
andrew.kirillov
Site Admin, AForge.NET Developer

Re: SnapshotCapabilities for Microsoft Lifecam Studio

Postby gjvanhalem » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:51 am

I did debug it and also used an other framework and it looks like DirectShow does not see the still pin. (by the way, directshownet has a nice workaround in a sample application, they split the video pin in a still pin and a video pin when they do not find the still pin)

Can you recommend a camera with comparable resolution (5MP) that does work well with DirectShow?

Thanks!
gjvanhalem

Return to AForge.NET Framework